Friday, May 1, 2009

New Shutters

This month of May marks our fourth year of living in our house. Today we finally got a start on window coverings. I say "a start" since it will probably take a few more years of decent tax returns to finish the rest of the house. I was hoping, with 5 willing estimates, the time would be right to get a screamin' deal, but every which way I look (home improvement, travel, food), I certainly don't notice any "good deals" due to the recession from my point of view. Same expensive prices everywhere. Everybody seemed eager (desperate, one told me) to do the work, but nobody is willing to lower their prices to my expectation. We looked at (in order of cost) vinyl, composite, foam, and wood shutters. We ended up choosing the foam ("Polywood") shutters. I think they will hold up the best. I'm sure my kids will put them to the test!

I admit that after four years I had gotten used to having the windows uncovered and liked it. I like being able to see out of the windows day and night, like nobody can sneak up on you. But it also gives you the fish-bowl feeling when you have indoor lights on at night and everyone can see in, too. I think we lasted this long because we have nothing to hide! Anyhow, we started with the downstairs living space windows (living room, office, and entry). Here are a couple of before and after shots of the living room.


We got the 4.5 inch louvers to let as much light come through as possible during the day, but the difference is still very noticeable. When they are folded open, though, it's not so different. I'm sure we'll have them folded open most days to let the light in and not obstruct the view of the backyard. They do look good!

2 comments:

Bugg's mama said...

Oh, very lovely! I'm an open-windowed person, too, but Brian is the fish-bowl one. Those shutters are a great compromise, I say!

Kira said...

They look awesome! I'm so jealous!!! :)