Friday, May 8, 2009

Auto Insurance Rant

OK, so is it industry standard for auto policy rates to hike every year? We switched insurance companies a couple years ago because our last company (Allstate) kept hiking our rates every renewal without cause (no tickets, accidents, or claims of any kind whatsoever). Now our new company (Liberty Mutual) started doing the same thing (still no tickets, accidents, or claims of any kind).

I thought maybe it's time to shop around again and get some new quotes. But then I thought of all the hassle it brings and really didn't want to do that. So I thought, alright, I'll call Liberty Mutual and ask them to lower my rate on my existing policy, you know, give me a new quote. I got the guy on the phone and he says, "Let me verify your information." He starts reviewing my policy to see if everything is correct, says he doesn't see any other discounts available to us, but then he asks how many miles we put on each car, so I told him what I thought we put on the cars. BIG MISTAKE!!! He then says to me that they had the usage on the vehicles lower than what I told him. I ask, isn't that just an estimate anyway? So we went to visit Grandma twice this year instead of once! He says that he has to enter the new usage into the computer, our rate will go up over $100 something dollars (I wasn't really listening at this point to hear the new rate), and that we would be receiving the new policy in the mail within 7 to 10 days. Then he asks if there is anything else he can do for me today? At this point I'm trying not to think bad thoughts! I told him Liberty Mutual SUCKS, I was going to find another insurance company, and, of course, politely said goodbye.

Now I have the hassle of finding a new insurance company to insure my autos before I give anymore money to Liberty Mutual. Had to get that off my chest. Please, someone, tell me if this is just a Liberty Mutual problem or an industry wide problem?

3 comments:

kira said...

We've had state farm for YEARS now ... they keep sending us things saying they've lowered our rate by $1 for this month, but they are charging us $1 to mail the statement ... but no rate hikes. BUT! They are constantly sending us paperwork to fill out asking our mileage too ... which we don't send back ... for the exact same reason (we drive too many miles too).

Miki said...

Silly, silly Kalvan don't you know you only call insurance companies if they owe you or your doctor money? Calling them and answering questions can only end badly.

Carissa said...

We end up changing insurance carriers about every two years because of rate hikes. I think Russell uses a website to get quotes from a bunch of people so it doesn't take that long to find the best deal. We just changed providers a few months ago because we found a company offering more coverage for almost half the price we were paying.