Friday, July 24, 2009

Hanging out in Hoodoo Lounge

Last weekend, Miki had her annual retreat at the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, so I offered to chauffeur her to and from to get a little change of scenery and away from the Vegas heat we love so dearly. After some Friday lunch at Iceberg, the kids and I left Miki in good hands as we headed up Cedar Mountain and across to Bryce Canyon National Park for two nights of camping, hiking, and hot chocolate by the campfire. We had a blast! Unfortunately three-quarters of the park was closed due to a lightning fire they had been fighting for nearly a month. And of course they couldn't have announced that on the website I scoured for hours the night before, planning out our itinerary. The park was a little more crowded. Let's just say that the open portion of the park is very familiar to us now. In fact, it forced us back out the park entrance to hike Mossy Cave, which turned out to be a welcomed refreshment as we discovered the fall/winter flowing waterfall of Tropic Ditch.

The kids and I had fun hiking and spending quality time together. Hopefully we will be able to return again someday to see the portions of the park that were closed. Click the photo album below to follow along and see the beautiful park of Bryce Canyon.

Bryce Canyon NP

No comments: