Sunday, March 8, 2009

The price of being a great dad

So after hauling Karter around on Fridays to go hiking and doing errands, I figured it was about time we do an activity of his choice. Apart from Disneyland (which he asks every other day if we can go back there since last summer), where does every three year old want to go? You guessed it...Chuck E. Sleeze's! We have our two older children and several birthday party invites to thank for the first-hand knowlege we have at the battles of tracking our little ones among throngs of excited and screaming children, camoflauged by the seemingly endless maze of flashing lights and sounds of the video games. It's a good thing they stamped our arms upon entry with an invisible ink bearing a unique indentifier that matches us together so that we cannot leave without each other, right? Right!





Well, this wise dad looked online to see what time they open, and planned this trip accordingly on a school day and during normal school hours. Trust me that this place is much more tolerable when you share the place with three other people...that is if you have to go!

We scrounged all the left-over tokens from the other kids drawers. You know the ones from past parties that you don't have time to spend in the name of getting safely and sanely out the door together. Darn, there's only 9! I think we can get by with 9. I negotiated to purchase them from Sage for a buck. Luckily there was a third-grade bake sale going on that day at her school, so she was desperate for cash and saw it as a win-win.

Thanks to the overhead climbing tube-bubble thingy with the slide, our 9 tokens last us almost two full hours. Just enough! Now, it's not that I'm too cheap to pay the exorbant prices for their pizza lunch (afterall it is worth it's weight in grease), but the thought of getting out of there without spending a single dime was too tempting for me, so we shared some orange chicken from Panda Express on the way back home. Karter is one happy kid. I am one great dad. And now I get to hear a little less of Disneyland and a little more of Chuck E. Cheese's for the next month. We'll have to hone Karter's skee ball skills another day.

4 comments:

Bugg's mama said...

You awesome Dad, you! That's some neat photo trickery, too.

Susan said...

You are a good Dad. I don't think I would ever go to that place by choice. Of course we were lucky enough to move out to the sticks before the kids really discovered it! They have no idea what they're missing out on, Darn!

Unknown said...

I loved that description of Chuck E. Cheese! So true!

Kira said...

You guys were smart going in the middle of the day like that! Grandma & Grandpa decided to take the kids on SATURDAY NIGHT!!! It was fun ... really. At least the kids thought so.