Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cottonwood Spring

Karter and I decided to go on a hike Friday while everyone else was in school. We went to Cottonwood Spring in Lake Mead National Recreation Area (NRA). (36°12'9.94"N, 114°38'36.93"W). Have I mentioned I love my new Garmin GPS watch? Comparing to Google Earth imagery, I can see some of the positions were off by as much as 80 feet, which is unusually high.

The Cottonwood Spring hike is an easy, 1.24 mile journey each way. Along the journey, we saw some pretty plants, petrified ripples, some cool rocks, mini narrows, a recently expired trantula, an old watering basin, and the spring. There are some aquatic fossils there too, supposedly, but we could not find them. There are a couple large cottonwood trees at the spring that looked very dormant. There was water just below the surface an seen by a small hole maintained by animals for watering. Follow along by viewing the photo album below.
Again, all the photos are geotagged so you can see the approximate locations of the photos.
Cottonwood Spring

No comments: