Sunday, January 18, 2009

Redstone Safari


Kaleb's friend, Ethan, invited Kaleb and I to go hiking with he and his dad for his birthday activity. We went to the Redstone Dunes in Lake Mead National Recreation Area (NRA). (36°14'32.29"N, 114°30'57.01"W). I put my new Garmin GPS watch to good use.

The Redstone Dunes are petrified sand dunes that have eroded differentially to create some spectacular caves, holes, pockets, youngster labyrinths, and other neat formations. Along the journey, I saw many rock formations that resembled animals and other creatures. Follow along our safari and see if you can pick out the animals we saw by viewing the photo album below. Feel free to leave comments on the photos of what you think we saw on our safari!

Redstone Safari

Note that there is a map that goes with the photos showing the approximate locations of these formations. If you decide to go on safari yourself, let me know and I'll send you the exact path of our travels (1.4 miles) since you'll have to be mildly adventurous and get off the beaten path and explore a little to see the rare and exotic species we located. Better yet, if you're serious about a mini-safari, let us know and we'll plan a customized adventure the whole family (both of our families) will enjoy...compliments of your adventure guide, Kaleb, who can guarantee that these critters will not be roaming too far from where we found them!

2 comments:

* said...

how fun! I grew up here & I've never been to see those sites. I wonder if my parents, grandma or other family members have. It's off the beaten path, eh?

Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures, Kal. Almost makes us miss Vegas...almost!